Periods of extreme cold can most often be predicted in advance, providing you with several days' notice. It is important to listen to the weather forecast regularly, and check your emergency kit whenever a period of extreme cold is predicted.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After an Emergency
- Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death if inhaled.
- Generators, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices should never be used inside a home, basement, garage, or camper - or even outside near an open window.
- Every home should have at least one working carbon monoxide detector. The detector’s batteries should be checked at least twice annually, at the same time smoke detector batteries are checked.
- Important Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Tips
How to Recognize Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Every year, more than 400 people die in the U.S. from accidental Carbon Monoxide Poisoning according to the Centers for Disease Control. Carbon Monoxide is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by small gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns, and gas ranges, or by burning charcoal and wood. Carbon Monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing Carbon Monoxide.
- Exposure to Carbon Monoxide can cause loss of consciousness and death. The most common symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning before ever having symptoms.