Weekly Update - Sheriff Falls
Over the past year the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office partnered with the Police Foundation (PF) for a strategic study for our organization. The full study can be viewed on the Jackson County Sheriff's Office website.
“The Police Foundation’s mission is to advance policing through innovation and science. It is the oldest nationally-known, non-profit, non-partisan, and non-membership-driven organization dedicated to improving America’s most noble profession – policing. The purpose of the Police Foundation is to help the police be more effective in doing their job.”
The PF provided the Sheriff’s Office with several recommendations. It also completed a SWOT analysis describing our Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. We have reviewed the analysis. Below are some responses of changes or improvements we have already made or are planning to implement.
Strengths – The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office has high quality personnel, is well equipped, and the community has a high level of trust in the Office.
Weaknesses – To improve personnel development and training opportunities a Professional Standards and Accreditation position was implemented and a training plan was developed. To do a better job promoting the Sheriff’s Office to the public we have:
- Participated in National Night Out
- Participated in Beat the Heat car race.
- Participated in Community Event to celebrate Hispanic / Latino Culture
- Participated in Special Olympics Polar Plunge
- Participated in Special Olympics Torch Run
- Participated in Dancing with the ARC Stars to benefit the disabled community
- Part of the SMART Reading Program
- Changed the hiring and promotional practices by working with the Southern Oregon Health Equity Coalition to hire and promote deputies who represent our community as a whole.
- Initiated a Bilingual Citizens Academy.
- Worked with Oregon Health Science University students on a Latino Project to assess our deputies' work and knowledge of the Latino and Hispanic community.
- Implement Professional Policing Strategy – monthly meetings to discuss crimes, problems, and traffic issues and compare data/trends to reduce problems.
- Developed School Safety Deputy Program
- Reviewed and updated policies to ensure they reflect current legal and operational policing practices. Policy and procedural manual will be online this fall.
Thank you for your support.
Sheriff Corey Falls