Jackson County government strives to provide outstanding public service. We have been on the cutting-edge of local governments with our efforts for strategic planning, award-winning financial planning, budgeting and record keeping, and citizen involvement. Our goal is to be the best County government in the United States. We encourage all of our employees to treat every member of the public as a valued customer, and we believe our employees share a commitment to outstanding public service that is rare in government.
Jackson County aims for a less bureaucratic/more entrepreneurial, less tradition-bound/more flexible approach to government. We take pride in our work and are privileged to serve some of the friendliest, most unique and independent people in the United States.
Jackson County is governed by a three-member Board of Commissioners who are nominated and elected from the County at large, serving four-year overlapping terms. The County Administrator, a position created by ordinance, is appointed by and reports to the County Commissioners.
Jackson County’s mission is to provide public services that protect and enhance the quality of life in the County, as determined by the people, laws, and available resources.
Goals (in no particular order)
- Protect the health, safety, and well-being of all citizens.
- Serve all citizens fairly and ensure access to County government.
- Provide opportunities for all citizens to prosper by promoting the economic development of the area.
- Strengthen cooperation between public agencies.
- Work to enhance the natural and man-made attractiveness of the area.
- Encourage citizen understanding and participation in County government.
- Make recreational, learning, and cultural opportunities accessible and available.
- Provide and maintain multiple transportation systems.
- Promote employee pride, high standards of performance, and productivity.
- Make the best use of Jackson County’s human and material resources.
- Maintain public records to provide financial, historical, and statistical information.
- Plan for the future.