Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
December 04, 2022
You are here : Departments  >  Human Resources  >  Veteran’s Preference
Veterans' Preference

Under Oregon law, veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position may be eligible for Veterans' Preference in public employment.

How it works at Jackson CountyVeteran's

  • Qualified veterans that meet minimum and special qualifications such as any required certifications or licenses, as determined by Jackson County, are entitled to receive an interview when an interview is a component of the selection process.
  • Qualified veterans receive preference at each stage in the hiring process which they participate.
  • All required documentation must be submitted by the closing date of the job posting. Veterans' Preference will not be awarded unless an applicant submits the proper documentation. See details below.
  • Required documentation only needs to be provided once. Documentation provided by applicants who meet the qualifications for Veterans' Preference will be held in the County’s applicant database and can be accessed for any applications submitted for future job openings at Jackson County.

Ways to apply for Veterans' Preference with Jackson County

  • Attach the required documentation to your online application
  • Email the required documentation to
  • Fax the required documentation to 541-774-6455
  • Hand deliver to human resources: 10 S. Oakdale, Medford, OR

If you have questions or need further information please call Jackson County Human Resources, 541-774-6012.

To qualify as a Veteran

You must have served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States (us) in the manner described below:

  • Must have been discharged or released under honorable conditions
  • For more than 90 consecutive days beginning on or before January 31, 1955; or
  • For more than 178 consecutive days; or
  • For 178 days or less and was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability; or
  • For 178 days or less and have a disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; or
  • For at least one day in a combat zone; or
  • Received a combat or campaign ribbon or an expeditionary medal for service in the Armed Forces 

Alternatively, you may qualify as a veteran if you are receiving a nonservice-connected pension from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (regardless of any discharge or release conditions).

Submit required proof of eligibility for Veterans’ Preference:

  • Certificate of release or Discharge from Active Duty (a federal DD form 214 or 215) that reflects other than dishonorable discharge separation status.


  • A letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs indicating that you are the recipient of a non-service connected pension.

To qualify as a disabled veteran

You must be:

  • A person whose discharge or release from active duty was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty; or
  • Have a disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; or
  • Awarded the purple heart for wounds received in combat. 

Submit required proof of eligibility for Veterans’ Preference: Certificate of release or discharge from active duty (a federal DD form 214 or 215) and, if the information to determine disabled veteran status is not included in the federal DD form 214/215, a copy of your veterans' disability preference letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.