Traffic Violations Options
You may exercise one of the options listed below on or before your appearance date. The appearance date is listed at the bottom of your citation. You are currently scheduled to appear before the Clerk of the Court.
Option 1. Pay the “presumptive” fine.
Option 2. Enter a plea of no contest with an explanation to the Judge.
The Clerk of the Court is not able to take your explanation into consideration when imposing a fine. You must submit your plea and explanation to the Judge. You can do this one of two ways. Mail your no contest plea, written explanation and payment of the presumptive fine to Jackson County Justice Court, 4173 Hamrick Rd., Central Point, OR 97502. Attend an arraignment to see the Judge in person.
Option 3. Enter a not guilty plea and request a trial.
You have the right to enter a plea of not guilty. You can either enter the plea by mail or in person. Upon entry of a not guilty plea, the court will schedule a trial date for you.
Option 4. Attend traffic school and pay an additional fee.
If you are cited for multiple violations only a single violation is eligible for traffic school diversion. There is an additional fee involved, but the violation will be removed from your record upon completion of the program. To qualify for the program you must meet the following criteria.
- You have been cited for a single moving violation. If your citation indicated that an injury accident was involved, you will not qualify for the program.
- You have received no other moving violations or traffic crime charges within the last two years.
- You have not participated in another traffic school program anywhere in the last two years to keep a conviction off of your driving record.
- You have a valid drivers license or permit.
- TRAFFIC SCHOOL IS NOT OFFERED FOR VIOLATIONS OF ORS 811.507, USING A MOBILE ELECTRONIC DEVICE OR CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING.
Request to attend traffic school must be done in person, by phone, mail, or email to JusticeCourt@jacksoncounty.org. If your request is approved, you will be mailed information on when to attend a traffic school class. Typical price for a class is $50.00, which is an additional cost to you. NOTE: Do not submit the traffic school fee to the court- that is paid to the class provider.