Solid Waste Management is governed by Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) Chapter 459 and 459A. Jackson County Ordinance Chapter 1864 governs Solid Waste Franchising and Nuisance Abatement within Jackson County.
The County Administrator's Office assists the Jackson County Board of Commissioners in planning, administering and implementing the Jackson County Wasteshed Recovery Plan. The County Administrator's Office oversees all solid waste franchise agreements which govern collection, transportation, and disposal within Jackson County.
The State of Oregon has set the following priority order to manage solid waste:
- Reduce the amount of solid waste generated;
- Reuse material for the purpose for which it was originally intended;
- Recycle material that cannot be reused;
- Compost material that cannot be reused or recycled;
- Recover energy from solid waste that cannot be reused, recycled or composted so long as the energy recovery facility preserves the quality of air, water and land resources; and
- Dispose of solid waste that cannot be reused, recycled, composted or from which energy cannot be recovered by landfilling or other method approved by the Department of Environmental Quality