The Jackson County Clerk - Recording office is currently open by appointment only.
Please call 541-774-6152 to make an appointment, or receive assistance over the phone. Our business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
NOTICE: Regarding Marriages in Jackson County
Who can be granted a marriage license?
You do not have to be an Oregon resident to obtain a marriage license.
Oregon law prohibits the issuance of a marriage license to anyone under 17 years of age. Those 17 years old must have consent before a marriage license can be issued.
Where do you get a marriage license?
Licenses are issued in the Jackson County Clerk’s Office, 10 S. Oakdale Ave., Room 114, Medford, OR 97501. Phone: (541) 774-6153.
Application hours are 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., closed 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
How do you obtain a marriage license?
1. Complete Application:
Option 1 - You may apply on line by completing party a and party b information at:
https://apps.jacksoncounty.org/Marriage/. Both parties must then come to the Jackson County Clerk’s office to sign and purchase their license. See license fee #4 below.Exceptions to this policy may be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act for applicants who cannot appear in our office. Bring a copy of your Congratulations! page which includes your submission ID number with you. Application hours are 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., closed 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Plan to be in our office no later than 10:45 a.m. or 3:30 p.m. to complete the marriage license process. Exceptions to this policy may be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act for applicants who cannot appear in our office.
Option 2 - Both parties must apply on the public computers in our office and will then proceed to a deputy clerk to sign and purchase their license once issued. See license fee #4 below. Exceptions to this policy may be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act for applicants who cannot appear in our office. Application hours are 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., closed 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. It takes approximately 15 minutes to complete the application, whether online on in person, and then an additional 15 minutes with a clerk to issue the license, so plan to be in our office no later than 10:45 a.m. or 3:30 p.m. in order to finish your license by closing.
2. Proof of Age: Applicants may be required to show proof of age to the satisfaction of the clerk.
3. Permission for those 17 years of age: Applicants seventeen years of age must bring a parent or guardian with them, or have a notarized consent form with them. We require an original birth certificate as proof of age and proof of parentage. A form for giving consent to the marriage of a minor is available by clicking here:
4. License fee: A marriage license is $55.00, payable in cash or debit/credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover) when the license is issued. A service fee is charged by the credit card provider.
5. Waiver fee: If necessary, a three-day waiver form may be purchased for $22.00, payable in the same terms above. YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE ON THE DAY YOU APPLY; HOWEVER, WITHOUT A WAIVER YOU CANNOT BE MARRIED UNTIL THREE DAYS LATER. For example, if your license is issued on Monday, you cannot be married until Thursday. If the three-day waiting period presents a problem, please purchase a waiver.
6. Certified Copies: You may request certified copies at the time you purchase your marriage license for $7.75. Upon return of your license to our office, certified copies will be sent by mail within 2-3 days to the address you provide.
AFTER YOU HAVE YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE:
REMEMBER - the license is not valid until three days after it is issued. It remains valid for 60 days after the effective date. The license can be used anywhere in the state of Oregon. It must be filed back with the same county it was purchased from.
Two persons over age 18 are required to witness the solemnization of the marriage.
The marriage license (if not used) expires sixty days from effective date. There is no extension of time, no refunds given, no exceptions.
Oregon law requires the properly completed original license be returned to the Clerk’s Office within 5 days of the marriage. If you decide not to return your license, it is the responsibility of the officiant to do so.
Your license becomes a record of marriage once it has been returned and signed by the local official. If you did not purchase certified copies at the time you purchased your marriage license contact the county clerk’s office or click here:
Jackson County Clerk
10 S. Oakdale Avenue, Room 114
Medford, OR 97501
The cost of a certified copy after the return of your marriage license is $7.75 payable in cash, check or debit/credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover). Please include a contact phone number on a check. A service fee is charged by the provider.
Voter Registration: If party a and party b would like to update their voter registration (name, address, party affiliation etc.) please go to www.oregonvotes.gov to access the online registration system.