Jackson County, Oregon, USA

 Pay Online

Predatory Sex Offenders

October 19, 2021
You are here : Juvenile Services  >  Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make after hours contact with the Juvenile Department?
The normal hours for the Jackson County Juvenile Department are from 8 AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday. If you have an after-hours issue requiring immediate assistance, you can call the Jackson County Detention Facility. A staff member is available 24 hours a day - seven days a week, and can provide information and referral information. The phone number is 541-774-4835.

My child is not going to school, what can I do?
A good place to start is by scheduling a meeting with your school administration/counselor. Between the two parties, try to identify and address all reasonable barriers to your child’s success. Communicate regularly, and work closely as a team with your child’s school. If possible, build in the support of friends, family members and your local police department.

My child uses drugs or alcohol, where can I go to get help?
Whether it is your child’s first time or there have been other occasions, now is the time to intervene and get help from a professional. Level of use is broken down into five categories: 1) Experimental use, 2) Social use, 3) Habitual use, 4) Abuse, and 5) Addiction. The form of help you obtain should depend on your child’s level of use. Your first step should be to obtain a drug and alcohol assessment from a professional who is qualified to perform drug and alcohol assessments. Please call 541-774-4800 and ask to speak with the daily intake officer.

Is it possible to have my child placed in detention?
Only the court or the court’s designee can authorize placement of a youth into a juvenile detention facility. There are strict legal criteria outlining when a juvenile offender is eligible for detention. A parent cannot place a child in detention.

Can my child’s record be destroyed at some point?
Under most circumstances a juvenile’s record can be destroyed at some point. The process of getting a juvenile record and associated police reports destroyed is called an expungement. Please see the Expungement for further information.

My child was involved in a law violation. What will happen to him/her?
If your child has been involved in a law violation, it is up to a law enforcement agency to investigate. If they find probable cause to believe that a crime was committed, they will forward their police report to the juvenile department. The case will be assigned to a juvenile department staff who will be responsible to manage the case. Certain offenses may require District Attorney review before juvenile department staff decides how to proceed with the case. In other cases, staff will meet with the offender and his/her family, conduct a juvenile offender risk assessment and develop a plan with the youth and family. This plan may call for an informal dealing with the case or a formal processing of the case (court hearings and judicial orders). Victims of juvenile crimes will also be involved in the juvenile department case planning.

How do I get a court appointed attorney for my child?
In juvenile delinquency cases, your child may be eligible for a court appointed attorney. As a parent of a child involved in a delinquent act, you are not eligible for a court appointed attorney. If the parent or the youth cannot afford to pay for the attorney, the court can order an attorney be appointed. This will be based upon financial criteria.

What do I do if I see a young child being abused or neglected?
Your response to a situation like this should depend upon the level of urgency. If there is doubt in your mind and clearly no immediate danger, you can call the State Department of Human Services at 541-776-6120 and ask how to respond. If, on the other hand, the child is clearly in danger, do not hesitate. Dial 911 and report the incident and details to the police.

How long does probation last?
Probation is imposed by a judge up to a maximum probation period of five years and shall not exceed the juvenile’s 23rd birthday. Six months to two years is a common period of probation. The length of time depends on the risk of the youth, sanctions, and the youth’s compliance with the conditions of probation.

Are juvenile records confidential?
The following information, which is not considered privileged, may be released to anyone:

  • Name and date of birth of youth;
  • Basis for the juvenile court’s (or departments’) jurisdiction over youth;
  • Act alleged in the petition;
  • Juvenile court order (or diversion agreement) providing for the legal disposition of the youth;
  • Names and addresses of the youth or youth’s parents or guardians;
  • The date, time and location of Court Hearings.