Jackson County, Oregon, USA

10 S. Oakdale Ave. Room #100 • Medford, Oregon 97501
Document Search
Marijuana InformationHemp Information

December 07, 2022
You are here : General  >  Rebuilding Info

Rebuild Guides for Fire Victims

What work can I do without a permit?

When it is deemed safe to return to homes in wildfire affected areas, repairing and rebuilding can begin. To expedite the permit process and avoid unnecessary filings, here is some helpful information

What work can I do without a permit?

Many basic recovery activities do not require a structural permit. Common examples include:

  • Ordinary repairs
  • Cosmetic interior finish work (linoleum, tiling, carpeting, cabinetry, painting)
  • Exterior siding repair and replacement (where not required to be fire-resistive)
  • Existing window and door replacement (where no structural member is changed)
  • Retrofitted insulation (including removal and replacement)
  • Fences seven feet or less in height
  • Masonry repair
  • Attached patio covers 200 sq. ft. or less
  • Detached accessory buildings 200 sq. ft. or less (that do not contain habitable/ livable space)
  • Gutters and downspouts

A full list of exempt work is available through your local building department.

When is a permit required?

Common examples of work that requires a permit include:

  • Electrical work
  • Plumbing work
  • Removal of any wall, beam, or other load bearing support
  • Removal, rearrangement, or change of the means of egress (doors, egress windows, etc.)
  • Mechanical systems
  • Reconstruction of exterior walls or roof structure

Who do I contact if I need a permit?

If you require a permit for damage caused by the wildfires please contact Jackson County Development Services Building and Planning.

Documents to download