Jackson County, Oregon, USA

 Jackson County Wildfire Information Map

October 04, 2023
You are here : News  >  Fire & Forest Agency News
Fire & Forest Agency News
Grants Pass Fire Rescue Responds to Residential Structure Fire (Photo)
Emergency Management

Grants Pass Fire Rescue Responds to Residential Structure Fire (Photo)

Grants Pass, OR – On 5/10/2023 at approximately 4:41 PM, Grants Pass Fire Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire in the 900 block of Fruitdale Drive. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke showing from the single-story residential home. Firefighters quickly contained the fire within 10 minutes of arrival. The fire was contained to the room of origin with heavy smoke damage throughout the home.  Grants Pass Fire Rescue was assisted by Grants Pass Police Department and Rural Metro Fire Department. Nearby residents also helped by pulling a hose to a fire hydrant. No injuries were reported, but an animal succumbed to the smoke.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a candle burning in a bedroom. 

Grants Pass Fire Rescue recommends the following safety tips for using candles:

  • Always place candles on a stable, non-flammable surface.
  • Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that can burn, such as curtains, furniture, and bedding.
  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Extinguish candles before going to bed or leaving the house.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

For more information on fire safety, please visit the Grants Pass Fire Rescue website at https://www.grantspassoregon.gov/427/Fire-Rescue

Previous Article Compliance Monitoring Program Committee meets May 16
Next Article Forestry Program for Oregon Subcommittee meets May 17