The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a free nutrition education program that helps families identify healthy nutrition choices that work for them.
Women on WIC eat a healthier diet, have healthier babies and receive early prenatal care.
Infants born to WIC mothers weigh more and have improved growth and development rates.
Children on WIC eat foods with more iron and vitamin C, and visit their doctors regularly.
You are eligible for WIC if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Live in Oregon
- Are a pregnant, postpartum or breastfeeding woman, an infant or a child under 5 years old
- Have a nutritional need
- Have a household income that meets the current income guidelines.
*Fathers, grandparents, foster parents or other guardians may apply for WIC for their children.
WIC benefits are easily accessed using your WIC Shopper App and paying with your eWIC card.
|1 person (s)
Check to see if you may be eligible for WIC benefits
*Individuals who can prove they are certified as fully eligible for Medicaid (the Oregon Health Plan), TANF, SNAP (Food Stamps) or FDPIR are considered automatically income eligible for WIC..
What WIC Participants Receive
Supplemental foods available for monthly food benefits:
- Yogurt – many brands and flavors (can vary by store)
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (Organic is OK), also frozen fruits and vegetables
- Whole grain options, including oats, 100% whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, corn or whole wheat tortillas, brown jasmine rice, and bulgur
- Milk, Goats milk, Lactose free/reduced milk, Acidophilus milk and Soy milk
- Dry peas, beans, and lentils, as well as canned whole beans (no baked beans, green beans, or organic)
- Peanut butter
- Hot and cold cereal options
- 100% fruit juice, (bottled or frozen)
- Jarred baby foods (some organic options available)
- Nutrition education and counseling specific to individual needs during pregnancy, breastfeeding and early childhood. We have a Registered Dietitian on staff who is available to help participants with special nutritional needs
- Referrals to other community or county resources and services
- Breastfeeding support. Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants are available
- Mental health counselors are available in the Jackson County WIC Program, and are available for postpartum and prenatal, depression, and anxiety counseling
*Many local grocery stores in Jackson County partner with the WIC program and eWIC. Multiple farm stands and local Farmers Markets partner with WIC to provide access to local fruits and vegetables by accepting the Farm Direct Nutrition Program coupons, issued during the months of June, July and August of each year. Sorry, no eWIC options yet for Farm Direct coupons. .
How WIC helps Jackson County Families
- WIC reduces fetal and infant deaths
- WIC reduces low birth weight rates and increases the duration of pregnancy
- WIC improves infant feeding practices, including breastfeeding
- WIC improves the growth of nutritionally at-risk infants and children
- WIC decreases the incidence of iron deficiency anemia in children
- WIC improves the dietary intake of pregnant and postpartum women and improves weight gain in pregnant women
- Pregnant women participating in WIC receive prenatal care earlier
- Children enrolled in WIC are more likely to have a regular source of medical care and have more up to date immunizations
- WIC helps get children ready to start school: children who receive WIC benefits demonstrate improved intellectual development
- WIC significantly improves children’s diets
- WIC improves savings in health care costs
- WIC promotes physical activity
If you have any questions or would like to apply for WIC please call our main office at 541-774-8203. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We have an outlying clinic in Ashland at the Briscoe School on the second Tuesday of every month, and in White City at the Rogue Family Center on Mondays. WIC is now available some Fridays at the Rogue River Library.
We hope to hear from you soon!
Jackson County WIC Office
140 S. Holly Street
Medford, OR 97501