Emergency: 911   REPORT A CRIME

You TubeTwitterFacebookInstagram     

June 01, 2023
You are here : News
Deputies Begin Holiday DUII Patrols
JCSO Public Relations Officer
/ Categories: Press Releases

Deputies Begin Holiday DUII Patrols

JACKSON COUNTY, Ore. – Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) deputies will be conducting saturation patrols through the holiday season to stop impaired drivers.  From Thursday, December 13, 2018, through New Year's Eve, deputies will focus their patrols on rural roadways in an effort to spot drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.  

Grant funding allows JCSO to put extra deputies on the road to specifically enforce impaired driving laws without taking away from response to normal calls for service.  It is part of the Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign sponsored by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).

“This time of year, many people will be attending holiday parties and events,” said JCSO Sergeant Julie Denney.  “The last thing we want to see is a celebration turned into a tragedy because somebody made the choice to drive while impaired.”

Deputies say prevention is the key -- plan ahead to avoid driving while impaired:

  • DRINK OR DRIVE: Once you know where you'll celebrate, decide whether you're drinking or driving – choose only one and stick to it.
  • WEED WARNING: Even though the recreational use of marijuana is legal for adults in Oregon, it is not legal (or safe) to drive while impaired by the drug.
  • GETTING AROUND: Before you get to the party, know how you’re getting home. If you're the designated driver, don't drink. If you're impaired and your ride falls through, use a taxi or rideshare service, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation to get home safely.
  • PASSENGERS, TOO: Drivers aren't the only ones at risk. Only accept a ride from a sober driver.
  • HELP A FRIEND: If you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, help them to make other transportation arrangements or offer them a place to stay.
  • SAY SOMETHING: If you suspect an impaired driver on the roadway, call police immediately. It is okay to call 911 to make a report.

For more information on the NHTSA Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign, go to the NHTSA website at .


Previous Article SAR Finds Missing Snowboarder Alive *Final Update*
Next Article Pre-Holiday Distracted Driving Patrols Begin (Photo)

Flash Alert - Click for Press Releases