Extra DUI Enforcement
August 21, 2020 – September 7, 2020
The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office will be utilizing grant funds to put more deputies on the streets with a focus on DUII and impaired driving.
DUII is a term we are all familiar with. Most think alcohol however, impairing substances come in many forms. We urge all driver to make smart decisions when driving and impairing substances are used.
- In 2018, there were 10,511 people killed in impaired driving crashes. To put it in perspective, that’s equal to about 20 jumbo jets crashing, with no survivors.
- Nationally, it is illegal to drive with a BAC of .08 or higher — no exceptions.
- In 2018, one person was killed every 50 minutes by an impaired driver on our nation’s roads.
Labor Day Statistics
- During the 2018 Labor Day holiday period (6 p.m. August 31 – 5:59 a.m. September 4), 38% of fatalities in traffic crashes involved an impaired driver.
- Among drivers between the ages of 18 and 34 who were killed in crashes over the Labor Day holiday period in 2018, 47% of those drivers were impaired, with BACs of .08 or higher.
Celebrate with a Plan
Always remember to plan ahead if you will be celebrating. If you plan to drink, plan for a sober driver to take you home. Is it your turn to be the designated driver? Take that role seriously and do not consume alcohol, not even one drink.
For more information about the Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign, visit https://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/get-materials/drunk-driving/national-mobilization/peak-enforcement-kit.